- The definition of distressed is damaged, suffering pain or sold below value, or made to look old on purpose.
- An example of a distressed person is someone who has just lost a close friend.
- An example of a distressed area is a section of storefronts which have gone untended due to store closures and unemployment.
- An example of something distressed is a pair of jeans that have been faded and holes have been added for style purposes.
- full of distress; anxious, suffering, troubled, etc.
- given the appearance of being antique, as by having the finish marred: distressed walnut
- designating or of an area in which there is widespread unemployment, poverty, etc.
- designating or of goods, esp. repossessed goods, sold at low prices or at a loss
- Suffering distress: the distressed parents of wayward youths.
- a. Economically blighted; impoverished: distressed communities.b. At risk of being foreclosed on: distressed real estate.c. For sale at a low price, as from being damaged, especially at a price below market value: distressed merchandise.
- Intentionally marred or faded to convey an antique or used look: distressed furniture; distressed denim.
(comparative more distressed, superlative most distressed)
- Simple past tense and past participle of distress.