- The definition of hard-pressed is barely able, or experiencing distress.
If you aren't sure you can afford a $100 ticket to a concert, this is an example of when you are hard-pressed to come up with the money to go to the concert.
(comparative more hardpressed, superlative most hardpressed)
From hard + pressed.
(comparative more hard-pressed, superlative most hard-pressed)
- (idiomatic, usually with to-infinitive) Barely able. Having difficulty doing something.
- Although they are still available, I think we would be hard-pressed to find one on short notice.
- (idiomatic) Experiencing financial difficulty or difficulty in surviving.
- The earthquake left the residents hard-pressed.