compatible[kəm pat′ə bəl]
- The definition of compatible is capable of being together in peace.
An example of compatible is a happily married couple.
- capable of living together harmoniously or getting along well together (with)
- in agreement; congruent (with)
- that can work well together, get along well together, combine well, etc.: a compatible couple, compatible colors
- that can function or be used together without change or alteration
- that can be mixed without reacting chemically or interfering with one another's action or state: said of drugs, insecticides, etc.
- Bot. that can be cross-fertilized or grafted readily
- Comput. designating or of
- computer components, software, etc. that can be used with a specified computer or computer system: often in hyphenated compounds
- computers or computer systems that can use the same components, software, etc.
Origin of compatibleMiddle English and amp; Medieval Latin compatibilis ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin compati: see compassion
- Capable of existing or performing in harmonious, agreeable, or congenial combination with another or others: compatible family relationships.
- Capable of orderly, efficient integration and operation with other elements in a system with no modification or conversion required.
- Capable of forming a chemically or biochemically stable system.
- Medicine Capable of being grafted, transfused, or transplanted from one individual to another without rejection: compatible blood.
A device, such as a computer or computer software, that can be integrated into or used with another device or system of its type.
Origin of compatibleMiddle English, from Medieval Latin compatībilis, from Late Latin compatī, to sympathize; see compassion.
- com·pat′i·bil′i·ty, com·pat′i·ble·ness
(comparative more compatible, superlative most compatible)
- Something that is compatible with something else.
- a computer company that sells IBM compatibles
compatible - Computer Definition
- Referring to the fact that a device, program, or system can interface with another without interfering with each other and without requiring the intervention of another device or program, such as a gateway or middleware. Fully compatible devices are even interchangeable. See also gateway and middleware.
- Referring to a device or system that fully conforms to a standard. (Note: meaning 2 does not guarantee meaning 1.) See also standard.