compatible[kəm pat′ə bəl]
- The definition of compatible is capable of being together in peace.
An example of compatible is a happily married couple.
- capable of living together harmoniously or getting along well together (with)
- in agreement; congruent (with)
- that can work well together, get along well together, combine well, etc.: a compatible couple, compatible colors
- that can function or be used together without change or alteration
- that can be mixed without reacting chemically or interfering with one another's action or state: said of drugs, insecticides, etc.
- Bot. that can be cross-fertilized or grafted readily
- Comput. designating or of
- computer components, software, etc. that can be used with a specified computer or computer system: often in hyphenated compounds
- computers or computer systems that can use the same components, software, etc.
Origin of compatibleMiddle English and amp; Medieval Latin compatibilis ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin compati: see compassion
- Capable of existing or performing in harmonious, agreeable, or congenial combination with another or others: compatible family relationships.
- Capable of orderly, efficient integration and operation with other elements in a system with no modification or conversion required.
- Capable of forming a chemically or biochemically stable system.
- Medicine Capable of being grafted, transfused, or transplanted from one individual to another without rejection: compatible blood.
Origin of compatibleMiddle English, from Medieval Latin compatībilis, from Late Latin compatī, to sympathize; see compassion.
- com·pat′i·bil′i·ty, com·pat′i·ble·ness
(comparative more compatible, superlative most compatible)
- Something that is compatible with something else.
- a computer company that sells IBM compatibles
from Middle French compatible, from Medieval Latin compatibilis (“in compatible beneficium, a benefice which could be held together with another one”), from Late Latin compati (“to suffer with”)
compatible - Computer Definition
- Referring to the fact that a device, program, or system can interface with another without interfering with each other and without requiring the intervention of another device or program, such as a gateway or middleware. Fully compatible devices are even interchangeable. See also gateway and middleware.
- Referring to a device or system that fully conforms to a standard. (Note: meaning 2 does not guarantee meaning 1.) See also standard.