- The definition of congenial is agreeable or compatible.
An example of congenial is a cousin who shares your interest in fishing and with whom you enjoy spending time.
congenial definition by Webster's New World
- kindred; compatible: congenial tastes
- having the same tastes and temperament; friendly; sympathetic: congenial friends
- suited to one's needs or disposition; agreeable: congenial work
Origin: see com- and amp; genial
congenial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having the same tastes, habits, or temperament; sympathetic.
- Of a pleasant disposition; friendly and sociable: a congenial host.
- Suited to one's needs or nature; agreeable: congenial surroundings.
Origin: Probably from con- + Latin genius, the personification of one's natural inclinations; see Genius .
- con·geˌni·alˈi·ty , con·genˈial·ness noun
- con·genˈial·ly adverb