- a person or thing of the same kind, class, race, or genus
- a substance, formed in an alcoholic beverage during fermentation or distillation, that gives the beverage its characteristic flavor, color, etc.
Origin of congenerL, of the same race or kind ; from com-, together + genus (gen. generis), race, genus
- A member of the same kind, class, or group.
- An organism belonging to the same taxonomic genus as another organism.
Origin of congenerFrom Latin, of the same race : com-, com- + genus, gener-, race; see gen&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
- con′ge·ner′ic , con·gen′er·ous
- A plant or animal of the same taxonomic genus as another.
- A person or thing similar in behavior or nature to another.
- (chemistry) Any of a group of structurally-related compounds.
- Any of several alcohols, other than ethanol, that are found in fermented and distilled alcoholic drinks, and are partially responsible for their flavour and character.