Variant of grotesque
- in or of a style of painting, sculpture, etc. in which forms of persons and animals are intermingled as with foliage, flowers, or fruits in a fantastic or bizarre design
- characterized by distortions or striking incongruities in appearance, shape, or manner; fantastic; bizarre
- ludicrously eccentric or strange; ridiculous; absurd
Origin: French ; from Italian grottesca (pittura), origin, originally , (picture) in a cave ; from grotta, grotto: from resemblance to designs found in Roman caves
- a grotesque painting, sculpture, design, etc.
- a grotesque thing or quality