- Attribute is defined as a quality or characteristic of a person, place or thing.
Intelligence, charm and a sense of humor are each an example of an attribute.
- The definition of attribute is to explain something by telling the cause or origin.
An example of attribute is to explain a person's constant coughing as a result of chain smoking.
- to set down or think of as belonging to, produced by, resulting from, or originating in; assign or ascribe (to): the play is attributed to Shakespeare
- to ascribe as a quality or characteristic
Origin: ; from Classical Latin attributus, past participle of attribuere, to assign ; from ad-, to plush tribuere, to assign ; from tribus: see tribe
- a characteristic or quality of a person or thing
- an object used in literature or art as a symbol for a person, office, etc.: winged feet are the attribute of Mercury
- Gram. a word or phrase used adjectivally
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb at·trib·ut·ed, at·trib·ut·ing, at·trib·utes
- To relate to a particular cause or source; ascribe: attributed their failure to a lack of preparation.
- To regard as the work of a specified agent, place, or time: attributed the painting to Titian; attributed the vase to 18th-century Japan.
- A quality or characteristic inherent in or ascribed to someone or something.
- An object associated with and serving to identify a character, personage, or office: Lightning bolts are an attribute of Zeus.
- Grammar A word or phrase syntactically subordinate to another word or phrase that it modifies; for example, my sister's and brown in my sister's brown dog.
Origin: Latin attribuere, attribūt- : ad-, ad- + tribuere, to allot; see tribute.
- at·tribˈut·a·ble adjective
- at·tribˈut·er, at·tribˈu·tor noun
attribute - Computer Definition
(1) In relational database management, a field within a record.
(3) For printers and display screens, a characteristic that changes a font, for example, from normal to bold or underlined, or from normal to reverse video.
(4) In an XML document, a sub element defined within an element. In the following example, GENDER and AGE are attributes within the PERSON element:
(5) A file access classification that determines how a file is retrieved, erased or backed up. See file attribute.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.