- The definition of impute is to assign a fault or blame.
- An example of to impute is find an oil leak as the cause for a car breaking down.
- An example of to impute is to call someone clumsy.
impute definition by Webster's New World
- to attribute (esp. a fault or misconduct) to another; charge with; ascribe
- Theol. to ascribe (goodness or guilt) to a person as coming from another
Origin: Middle English imputen ; from Old French imputer ; from Classical Latin imputare ; from in-, in, to plush putare, to estimate, think, origin, originally , to prune, cleanse: see pure
impute definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb im·put·ed, im·put·ing, im·putes
- To relate to a particular cause or source; attribute the fault or responsibility to: imputed the rocket failure to a faulty gasket; kindly imputed my clumsiness to inexperience.
- To assign as a characteristic; credit: the gracefulness so often imputed to cats. See Synonyms at attribute.
Origin: Middle English imputen, from Old French emputer, from Latin imputāre : in-, in; see in-2 + putāre, to settle an account; see pau-2 in Indo-European roots.
impute - Legal Definition