Impart is defined as to make known, or to give a portion of something.verb
An example of impart is for a man to share bits of wisdom with his grandson.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- to give a share or portion of
- to make known; tell; reveal
Origin: ME imparten < OFr empartir < L impartire: see in- & part
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb im·part·ed, im·part·ing, im·parts
- To grant a share of; bestow: impart a subtle flavor; impart some advice.
- To make known; disclose: persuaded to impart the secret.
- To pass on; transmit: imparts forward motion.
Origin: Middle English imparten, from Old French impartir, from Latin impertīre, impartīre : in-, in; see in-2 + partīre, to share (from pars, part-, part; see perə-2 in Indo-European roots).