- Impart is defined as to make known, or to give a portion of something.
An example of impart is for a man to share bits of wisdom with his grandson.
A grandfather imparts his knowledge of fishing to his granddaughter.
impart definition by Webster's New World
- to give a share or portion of
- to make known; tell; reveal
Origin: Middle English imparten ; from Old French empartir ; from Classical Latin impartire: see in- and amp; part
impart definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb im·part·ed, im·part·ing, im·parts
- To grant a share of; bestow: impart a subtle flavor; impart some advice.
- To make known; disclose: persuaded to impart the secret.
- To pass on; transmit: imparts forward motion.
Origin: Middle English imparten, from Old French impartir, from Latin impertīre, impartīre : in-, in; see in-2 + partīre, to share (from pars, part-, part; see perə-2 in Indo-European roots).