- To grasp or grip firmly.
- Hold on tight to the railing.
- (idiomatic) To keep; to store something for someone.
- Hold on to my umbrella while I ride the roller coaster.
- (idiomatic) Wait a short while.
- Hold on while I get my coat.
- (idiomatic) To remain loyal.
- He didn't give up his fandom when others did; he held on.
- (idiomatic) To persist.
This verbal phrase is technically intransitive, but it almost always takes an indirect object in a transitive sense by means of the word "to".
- hang on
- hold up
- on hold