The definition of luster is a brightness, shine or special quality, or great fame or honor.noun
- When brass is very shiny, this is an example of a time when brass has a special luster.
- When a famous person comes to a celebration, this is an example of a time when he adds luster to the celebration.
- the quality, condition, or fact of shining by reflected light; gloss; sheen
- brightness; radiance; brilliance
- radiant beauty
- great fame or distinction; glory
- any of the glass pendants on a chandelier or candlestick
- a chandelier, etc. adorned with such pendants
- a substance used to give luster to an object
- a glossy fabric of cotton and wool
- the reflecting quality and brilliance of the surface of a mineral
- a metallic, sometimes iridescent, appearance given to pottery by a glaze
Origin: Fr lustre < It lustro < lustrare < L, to light, illumine < lustrum, lustrum
- to give a lustrous finish or gloss to
- to add glory or fame to
- lusterless adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Soft reflected light; sheen.
- Brilliance or radiance of light; brightness.
- Glory, radiance, distinction, or splendor, as of achievement, reputation, or beauty.
- A glass pendant, especially on a chandelier.
- A decorative object, such as a chandelier, that gives off light.
- Any of various substances, such as wax or glaze, used to give an object a gloss or polish.
- The surface glossiness of ceramic ware after glazing, especially the metallic sheen of lusterware.
- A fabric, such as alpaca, having a glossy surface.
- The appearance of a mineral surface judged by its brilliance and ability to reflect light.
- To give a gloss, glaze, or sheen to.
- To give or add glory, radiance, distinction, or splendor to.
Origin: French lustre, from Old French, from Old Italian lustro, from lustrare, to make bright, from Latin lūstrāre, from lūstrum, purification; see leuk- in Indo-European roots.
luster - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.