- Distinction is defined as the act of separating people or things into different groups, or the feature that differentiates or a special recognition.
- An example of a time when you make a distinction is when you separate good art from bad art.
- An example of distinction is when you are given an award for being an expert in your field.
- the act of making or keeping distinct; differentiation between or among things
- the condition of being different; difference
- that which makes or keeps distinct; quality, mark, or feature that differentiates
- the state of getting special recognition or honor; fame; eminence: a singer of distinction
- the quality that makes one seem superior or worthy of special recognition: to serve with distinction
- a mark or sign of special recognition or honor
Origin of distinctionMiddle English distinccioun ; from Old French distinction ; from Classical Latin distinctio ; from past participle of distinguere: see distinguish
- a. The act of distinguishing; differentiation: economists making an ongoing distinction between domestic and foreign markets.b. The condition or fact of being dissimilar or distinct; difference: “the crucial distinction between education and indoctrination” (A. Bartlett Giamatti). See Synonyms at difference.
- A distinguishing factor, attribute, or characteristic: a legal system blind to distinctions of race, gender, and class.
- a. Excellence or eminence, as of performance, character, or reputation: a diplomat of distinction.b. A special quality or accomplishment conferring uniqueness or honor: has the distinction of being the tallest in his class.c. Recognition of achievement or superiority; honor: graduated with distinction.d. An award or honor given to someone for outstanding achievement: won many distinctions while in the military.
- That which distinguishes; a single occurrence of a determining factor or feature, the fact of being divided; separation, discrimination.
- The act of distinguishing, discriminating; discrimination.
- There is a distinction to be made between resting and slacking.
- Specifically, a feature that causes someone or something to stand out as being better; a mark of honour, rank, eminence or excellence; being distinguished.
- She had the distinction of meeting the Queen.
- (that which distinguishes): confusion