- The definition of mediocrity is the quality or state of being just average.
When you are in the middle of your class and don't really do anything to stand out or do better, this is an example of mediocrity.
mediocrity definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. mediocrities
- the quality or state of being mediocre
- mediocre ability or attainment
- a person of mediocre abilities or attainments
Origin: French médiocrité ; from Classical Latin mediocritas
mediocrity definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. me·di·oc·ri·ties
- The state or quality of being mediocre.
- Mediocre ability, achievement, or performance.
- One that displays mediocre qualities.
- me·di·ocˈri·tizeˌ verb
- me·di·ocˌri·ti·zaˈtion noun