- yarn, thread, or cloth made of flax
- things made of linen, or of cotton, etc., as tablecloths, sheets, shirts, etc.
- fine stationery orig. made from linen rags
Origin: Middle English from Old English (akin to German leinen) from lin, flax: see line
- spun from flax: linen thread
- made of linen
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Thread made from fibers of the flax plant.b. Cloth woven from this thread.
- also linens Articles or garments made from linen or a similar cloth, such as cotton; bed sheets and tablecloths.
- Paper made from flax fibers or having a linenlike luster.
- Made of flax or linen.
- Resembling linen.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English līnen, made of flax, from Germanic *līnin-, from *līnam, flax, probably from Latin līnum; see lĭ̄no- in Indo-European roots.