- The definition of cloth is something made of fibrous material.
An example of cloth used as an adjective is a cloth towel.
- Cloth is defined as a fabric made of fibrous materials.
An example of a cloth is a hand towel.
Folds of different colored cloth.
cloth definition by Webster's New World
- a woven, knitted, or pressed fabric of fibrous material, as cotton, wool, silk, hair, or synthetic fibers
- a piece of such fabric for a specific use: tablecloth, washcloth, loincloth
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English clath, cloth, hence garment, akin to -clithan, to stick, clitha, poultice ; from Indo-European an unverified form gleit- (from source German kleid, dress) ; from base an unverified form glei-, to stick from source clay
- made of cloth
cloth definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. cloths cloths
- Fabric or material formed by weaving, knitting, pressing, or felting natural or synthetic fibers.
- A piece of fabric or material used for a specific purpose, as a tablecloth.
- Nautical a. Canvas.b. A sail.
- The characteristic attire of a profession, especially that of the clergy.
- The clergy: a man of the cloth.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English clāth.
cloth - Phrases/Idioms
- the usual or identifying dress of a profession, esp. of the clergy
- the clergy collectively