A living room with elegant drapery.
drapery definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. draperies
- Brit. dry goods
- Brit. the business of a draper
- hangings, covering, or clothing arranged in loose folds
- an artistic arrangement of such hangings, etc., esp. as represented in sculpture, painting, etc.
- ☆ curtains of heavy material
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French draperie: see drape and amp; -ery
drapery definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. drap·er·ies
- Cloth or clothing gracefully arranged in loose folds.
- A piece or pieces of heavy fabric hanging straight in loose folds, used as a curtain.
- Cloth; fabric.
- Chiefly British The business of a draper.