- The definition of a swatch is a sample of material or color.
An example of swatch is a small piece of fabric.
- a sample piece of cloth or other material
- a small amount or number in a cluster, bunch, or patch
Origin: orig., a cloth tally from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A sample strip cut from a piece of material.
- A representative portion; a sample: quoted swatches of the speech in his article.
- A strip or swath of land: “I . . . drove through this hilly swatch of field and forest that wraps around the east and north of town” (Jean Anderson).
Origin: Origin unknown.