A stack of different textiles.
- The definition of textile is something related to fabrics or the fabric industry.
If someone makes his living by selling fabrics, this is an example of someone who would be described as a textile salesman.
- Textile is defined as cloth or woven or knitted fabric.
A piece of heavy linen that you buy in order to sew a dress is an example of a textile.
- having to do with weaving or with woven fabrics
- that has been or can be woven: textile material
Origin of textileClassical Latin textilis ; from textus: see text
- a fabric made by weaving, knitting, etc.; cloth
- raw material suitable for this, as cotton, wool, nylon, etc.
- A cloth, especially one manufactured by weaving or knitting; a fabric.
- Fiber or yarn for weaving or knitting into cloth.
Origin of textileLatin, from neuter of textilis, woven, from textus, past participle of texere, to weave; see text.
(comparative more textile, superlative most textile)
- (naturism) clothing compulsive.
- A textile beach
From Latin textile, substantive use of textilis (“woven"), from texÅ (“weave").