- a person who carries a surveying line, tape, or chain
- a person whose work is setting up and repairing telephone lines, electric power lines, etc.
- ⌂ Football a player on the line of scrimmage, whose primary role is blocking or tackling
- A person employed to install or repair telephone, telegraph, or electric power lines. Also called linesman.
- A person employed to inspect and repair railroad tracks.
- Football A player positioned on the line of scrimmage near the ball.
- (American football) a playing position
lineman - Computer Definition
An individual who repairs transmission lines, including telephones, cable TV and electric lines. Typically outdoor work, the lineman's job started in the mid-1800s with the telegraph. In the U.K., the term is "linesman." See lineman's handset.