- The definition of glitter is tiny pieces of shiny material used for decoration.
An example of glitter is shimmery eyeshadow.
- Glitter is defined as to sparkle.
An example of glitter is sun shine reflecting off rain drops.
glitter definition by Webster's New World
- to shine with a sparkling light; be bright; glisten; sparkle
- to be strikingly brilliant, showy, or attractive
Origin: Middle English gliteren, probably ; from Old Norse glitra, akin to German glitzern: for Indo-European base see glisten
- a bright, sparkling light
- striking or showy brilliance or attractiveness
- bits of glittering material used for decoration
- Cdn. a glaze of ice formed by quickly freezing rainalso glitter ice
glitter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A sparkling or glistening light.
- Brilliant or showy, often superficial attractiveness.
- Small pieces of light-reflecting decorative material.
- a. To sparkle brilliantly; glisten. See Synonyms at flash.b. To sparkle coldly or malevolently: eyes that glittered at the prospect of revenge.
- To be brilliantly, often deceptively, attractive.
Origin: Middle English gliteren, to sparkle, from Old Norse glitra; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots.
- glitˈter·ing·ly adverb
- glitˈter·y adjective