Glitter is defined as to sparkle.verb
An example of glitter is sun shine reflecting off rain drops.
The definition of glitter is tiny pieces of shiny material used for decoration.noun
An example of glitter is shimmery eyeshadow.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- to shine with a sparkling light; be bright; glisten; sparkle
- to be strikingly brilliant, showy, or attractive
Origin: ME gliteren, prob. < ON glitra, akin to Ger glitzern: for IE base see glisten
- a bright, sparkling light
- striking or showy brilliance or attractiveness
- bits of glittering material used for decoration
- Cdn. a glaze of ice formed by quickly freezing rainalso glitter ice
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A sparkling or glistening light.
- Brilliant or showy, often superficial attractiveness.
- Small pieces of light-reflecting decorative material.
- a. To sparkle brilliantly; glisten. See Synonyms at flash.b. To sparkle coldly or malevolently: eyes that glittered at the prospect of revenge.
- To be brilliantly, often deceptively, attractive.
Origin: Middle English gliteren, to sparkle, from Old Norse glitra; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots.
- glitˈter·ing·ly adverb
- glitˈter·y adjective