An example of lustre is the glow of sterling silver.
& v.Chiefly British
- Shine, sheen gleam or polish.
- The brass had a characteristic lustre that practically glowed when it was freshly cleaned.
- By extension, interest, attractiveness, or splendour.
- After so many years in the same field, the job had lost its lustre.
- Refinement, polish, or quality.
- He spoke with all the lustre a seasoned enthusiast should have.
(third-person singular simple present lustres, present participle lustring, simple past and past participle lustred)
- (rare, poetic) To make lustrous.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.