The beauty of a flower.
An attractive young lady, a stunning flower and a mother cat taking care of her kittens are all examples of beauty.
- the quality attributed to whatever pleases or satisfies the senses or mind, as by line, color, form, texture, proportion, rhythmic motion, tone, etc., or by behavior, attitude, etc.
- a thing or person having this quality; specif., a very good-looking woman
- good looks
- any very attractive feature
Origin of beautyMiddle English beaute ; from Old French bealte ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form bellitas ; from Classical Latin bellus, pretty, lovely
- A quality or combination of qualities that gives pleasure to the mind or senses and is often associated with properties such as harmony of form or color, proportion, authenticity, and originality.
- One that is beautiful, especially a beautiful woman.
- A quality or feature that is most effective, gratifying, or telling: The beauty of the venture is that we stand to lose nothing.
- An outstanding or conspicuous example: The golf shot was a beauty, stopping a foot from the hole.
Origin of beautyMiddle English beaute, from Old French biaute, from Vulgar Latin *bellit&amacron;s, from Latin bellus, pretty; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural beauties)
- The property, quality or state of being "that which pleases merely by being perceived" (Aquinas); that which is attractive, pleasing, fine or good looking; comeliness.
- Someone who is beautiful.
- Brigitte Bardot was a renowned beauty.
- Something that is particularly good or pleasing.
- That phrasing is a beauty.
- What a goal, what a beauty.
- An excellent or egregious example of something.
- (with the definite article) The excellence, e.g. the genius
- The beauty of the deal is it costs nothing!
- Beauty treatment; cosmetology.
- Adjectives often applied to "beauty": natural, great, real, physical, exotic, inner, spiritual, strange, divine, visual, heavenly, intellectual, facial, attractive, sensuous, sensual, seductive, musical, austere, alluring, mathematical, geometric, astounding, bodily, pictorial.
- (Canada) Thanks! Cool!
- It's the long weekend. Beauty!
(comparative more beauty, superlative most beauty)
- (Canada) Of high quality, well done.
- He made a beauty pass through the neutral zone.