- The definition of lovely is someone or something attractive or inspires love.
An example of lovely is a beautiful day.
- beautiful; exquisite
- morally or spiritually attractive; gracious
- Informal highly enjoyable: a lovely party
Origin of lovelyMiddle English luvelich ; from Old English luflic
- Beautiful especially in a pleasing or charming way. See Synonyms at beautiful.
- Enjoyable; delightful: had a lovely weekend in the country.
- Archaic Inspiring love or affection.
- Obsolete Full of love; loving.
- A beautiful person, especially a woman.
- A lovely object.
(comparative lovelier, superlative loveliest)
- Beautiful; charming; very pleasing in form, looks, tone, or manner.
- It's a lovely day and the sun is shining.
- The music box plays a lovely melody.
- The castle garden enchants visitors with its lovely blooms.
- Very nice, wonderful.
- It would be lovely to have a little more money to spend.
- a lovely kiss
From Middle English lovely, luvelich, lufli, from Old English luflÄ«c (“amiable, loving, lovable"), equivalent to love +"Ž -ly.
(comparative lovelier or more lovely, superlative loveliest or most lovely)