- The definition of comely is an attractive person.
Audrey Hepburn is an example of a comely woman.
comely definition by Webster's New World
- pleasant to look at; attractive; fair
- Archaic seemly; decorous; proper
Origin: Middle English comli ; from Old English cymlic ; from cyme, lovely, delicate, origin, originally , feeble; akin to Middle High German kume, weak (Ger kaum, scarcely) ; from Indo-European base an unverified form gou-, to cry out from source Classical Greek goaein, to groan, bewail
- comeliness noun
comely definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective come·li·er, come·li·est
- Pleasing and wholesome in appearance; attractive. See Synonyms at beautiful.
- Suitable; seemly: comely behavior.
Origin: Middle English comli, alteration (probably influenced by bicomli, seemly) of cumli, from Old English cȳmlic, lovely, delicate, from cȳme, beautiful.
- comeˈli·ness noun