- The definition of comely is an attractive person.
Audrey Hepburn is an example of a comely woman.
- pleasant to look at; attractive; fair
- Archaic seemly; decorous; proper
Origin of comelyMiddle English comli ; from Old English cymlic ; from cyme, lovely, delicate, origin, originally , feeble; akin to Middle High German kume, weak (Ger kaum, scarcely) ; from Indo-European base an unverified form gou-, to cry out from source Classical Greek goaein, to groan, bewail
- Pleasing and wholesome in appearance; attractive. See Synonyms at beautiful.
- Suitable; seemly: comely behavior.
Origin of comelyMiddle English comli, alteration (probably influenced by bicomli, seemly) of cumli, from Old English c&ymacron;mlic, lovely, delicate, from c&ymacron;me, beautiful.
(comparative comelier, superlative comeliest)
Old English cȳmlīċ, from cȳme (“fine, exquisite”).