- The definition of to is moving toward the wanted position, or coming into awareness.
- An example of to is to stay on a job longer than anyone else; to rise to seniority.
- An example of to is waking up after passing out; to come to.
- To is defined as the direction to go, towards, or to a specific position, result or degree.
- An example of to is how you'd say you were going somewhere; going to the store.
- An example of to is a gift that's intended for a specific person; give to Mom.
- An example of to is describing how a person walked into a room and sat in a chair; went in to the room and sat down.
- in the direction of; toward: a turn to the left, traveling to Pittsburgh
- in the direction of and reaching: he went to Boston; it fell to the ground
- as far as; to the extent of: wet to the skin, starved to death
- toward or into the condition of: to grow to manhood, a rise to fame
- so as to result in: sentenced to ten years in prison
- on, onto, against, at, next to, etc.: used to indicate nearness or contact: applying lotion to the skin, a house to the right, cheek to cheek
- in a (specified) relation with: lines parallel to each other
- in front of: face to face
- until: no parking from four to six
- before: at ten to six
- for the purpose of; for: come to dinner
- as concerns; with respect to; involving: that's all there is to it; to leave oneself open to attack
- in the opinion of: it seems good to me
- producing, causing, or resulting in: to his amazement, torn to pieces
- along with; accompanied by; as an accompaniment for: add this to the others; dance to the music
- being the proper appurtenance, possession, or attribute of; of: the key to the house
- as compared with; as against: a score of 7 to 1, superior to the others
- in agreement, correspondence, or conformity with: not to her taste
- as a reaction, or in response, toward: the dog came to his whistle
- constituting; in or for (each): four quarts to a gallon
- as far as the limit of: moderate to high in price
- with (a specified person or thing) as the recipient of the verb: an indicator of the indirect object of the action: listen to him; give the book to her
- in honor of: a toast to your success
- by: used in some passive constructions: a person known to me
- at or in (a specified place) [to have someone to the house for dinner]: often a dial. usage [he's to home]
- Dial. with (a specified crop): a field planted to corn
Origin of toMiddle English from OE, akin to German zu from Indo-European an unverified form -d?-, up toward from source Classical Latin (quan)do, when, then, do(nec), until
- forward: his hat is on wrong side to
- in the normal or desired direction, position, or condition; esp., shut or closed: the door was blown to
- into a state of consciousness: the boxer came to
- at hand: we were close to when it happened
to and fro
Origin of to-Middle English from OE, akin to German zer-, Classical Latin dis-: see dis-
- a. In a direction toward so as to reach: went to the city.b. Towards: turned to me.
- a. Reaching as far as: The ocean water was clear all the way to the bottom.b. To the extent or degree of: loved him to distraction.c. With the resultant condition of: nursed her back to health.
- Toward a given state: helping minority women to economic equality.
- In contact with; against: their faces pressed to the windows.
- In front of: stood face to face.
- Used to indicate appropriation or possession: looked for the top to the jar.
- Concerning; regarding: waiting for an answer to my letter.
- In a particular relationship with: The brook runs parallel to the road.
- As an accompaniment or a complement of: danced to the tune.
- Composing; constituting: two cups to a pint.
- In accord with: job responsibilities suited to her abilities.
- As compared with: a book superior to his others.
- a. Before: The time is ten to five.b. Up till; until: worked from nine to five.
- a. For the purpose of: went out to lunch.b. In honor of: a toast to the queen.
- a. Used before a verb to indicate the infinitive: I'd like to go.b. Used alone when the infinitive is understood: Go if you want to.
- a. Used to indicate the relationship of a verb with its complement: refer to a dictionary; refer me to a dictionary.b. Used with a reflexive pronoun to indicate exclusivity or separateness: had the plane to ourselves.
- In one direction; toward a person or thing: owls with feathers wrong end to.
- Into a shut or closed position: pushed the door to.
- Into a state of consciousness: The patient came to.
- Into a state of action or attentiveness: sat down for lunch and fell to.
- Nautical Into the wind.
Origin of toMiddle English from Old English tō ; see de- in Indo-European roots.
|Country code top-level domains|
|Active: .ac .ad .ae .af .ag .ai .al .am .an .ao .aq .ar .as .at .au .aw .ax .az .ba .bb .bd .be .bf .bg .bh .bi .bj .bm .bn .bo .br .bs .bt .bw .by .bz .ca .cc .cd .cf .cg .ch .ci .ck .cl .cm .cn .co .cr .cu .cv .cx .cy .cz .de .dj .dk .dm .do .dz .ec .ee .eg .er .es .et .eu .fi .fj .fk .fm .fo .fr .ga .gd .ge .gf .gg .gh .gi .gl .gm .gn .gp .gq .gr .gs .gt .gu .gw .gy .hk .hm .hn .hr .ht .hu .id .ie .il .im .in .io .iq .ir .is .it .je .jm .jo .jp .ke .kg .kh .ki .km .kn .kp .kr .kw .ky .kz .la .lb .lc .li .lk .lr .ls .lt .lu .lv .ly .ma .mc .md .me .mg .mh .mk .ml .mm .mn .mo .mp .mq .mr .ms .mt .mu .mv .mw .mx .my .mz .na .nc .ne .nf .ng .ni .nl .no .np .nr .nu .nz .om .pa .pe .pf .pg .ph .pk .pl .pm .pn .pr .ps .pt .pw .py .qa .re .ro .rs .ru .rw .sa .sb .sc .sd .se .sg .sh .si .sk .sl .sm .sn .sr .st .su .sv .sy .sz .tc .td .tf .tg .th .tj .tk .tl .tm .tn .to .tr .tt .tv .tw .tz .ua .ug .uk .us .uy .uz .va .vc .ve .vg .vi .vn .vu .wf .ws .ye .yt .za .zm .zw|
to - Computer Definition
A generic term referring to the government agency formed in many countries to assume responsibility for telegraph and telecommunications services from the Post, Telegraph, and Telephone (PTT) agency. Most developed nations have since fully or partially privatized telecommunications. See also PTT.