- Essence is defined as the core nature or most important qualities of a person or thing.
An example of essence is what is captured of someone’s personality in a good photograph.
- The definition of an essence is a concentrated form of a flavor or fragrance.
An example of an essence is the scent of a tropical flower in a vial of oil.
essence definition by Webster's New World
- something that is, or exists; entity
- that which makes something what it is; intrinsic, fundamental nature or most important quality (of something); essential being
- a substance that keeps, in concentrated form, the flavor, fragrance, or other properties of the plant, drug, food, etc. from which it is extracted; essential oil
- a solution of such a substance or oil in alcohol
- a perfume
- the inward nature of anything, underlying its manifestations; true substance
- the indispensable conceptual characteristics and relations of anything
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French and amp; Classical Latin essentia ; from esse, to be: for Indo-European base see is
essence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The intrinsic or indispensable properties that serve to characterize or identify something.
- The most important ingredient; the crucial element.
- The inherent, unchanging nature of a thing or class of things.
- a. An extract that has the fundamental properties of a substance in concentrated form.b. Such an extract in a solution of alcohol.c. A perfume or scent.
- One that has or shows an abundance of a quality as if highly concentrated: a neighbor who is the essence of hospitality.
- Something that exists, especially a spiritual or incorporeal entity.
Origin: Middle English essencia and French essence, both from Latin essentia, from esse, to be, from the presumed present participle *essēns, *essent- (on the model of differentia, difference, from differēns, different-, present participle of differre, to differ), created to translate Greek ousiā (from ousa, feminine present participle of einai, to be); see es- in Indo-European roots.
essence - Phrases/Idioms
of the essence
of the essence