- Perfume is defined as a nice smell, or a substance created to produce a nice smell.
An example of perfume is the scent of potpurri.
- Perfume means to give a nice smell to something.
An example of perfume is to put body spray on your body.
perfume definition by Webster's New World
- to fill with a fragrant or pleasing odor; scent
- to put perfume on; dab, spray, etc. with perfume
Origin: Middle French parfumer ; from Italian perfumare ; from Classical Latin per-, intensive plush fumare, to smoke ; from fumus, smoke: see fume
- a pleasing smell or odor; sweet scent, as of flowers; fragrance
- a substance producing a fragrant or pleasing odor; esp., a volatile oil, as that extracted from flowers, or a substance like this prepared synthetically
Origin: MFr parfum < the v.
perfume definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A substance that emits and diffuses a fragrant odor, especially a volatile liquid distilled from flowers or prepared synthetically.
- A pleasing, agreeable scent or odor. See Synonyms at fragrance.
Origin: French parfum, from Old Italian parfumo, from parfumare, to fill with smoke : par-, intensive pref. (from Latin per-, per-) + fumare, to smoke (from Latin fūmāre, from fūmus, smoke).