- to make sweet with or as with sugar
- to make pleasant or agreeable, as to the sense of smell
- to counteract the acidic condition of (the soil, the stomach, etc.)
- to mollify; appease
- Now Rare to alleviate; ease
- Informal, Business
- to increase the value of (collateral for a loan) by pledging additional securities
- to increase the value of (an offer) in order to induce acceptance, promote sales, etc.
- Poker to increase the stakes in (a pot) by anteing again following a round when no bet was made
to become sweet
verbsweet·ened, sweet·en·ing, sweet·ens
- To make sweet or sweeter by adding sugar, honey, saccharin, or another sweet substance.
- To make more pleasant or agreeable.
- To soften or soothe: sweetened her mood.
- To make bearable; alleviate.
- Informal a. To increase the value of (collateral for a loan) by adding more securities.b. To enhance the attractiveness or financial desirability of (an offer, for example).
- Games To increase the value of (an unwon poker pot) by adding stakes before reopening.
- To make less acidic: sweeten the stomach with antacids.
- To remove sulfur compounds from (fuel oil or gas).
To become sweet.
(third-person singular simple present sweetens, present participle sweetening, simple past and past participle sweetened)
- To make sweet to the taste.
- to sweeten tea
- To make pleasing or grateful to the mind or feelings.
- to sweeten life
- to sweeten friendship
- To make mild or kind; to soften.
- to sweeten the temper
- To make less painful or laborious; to relieve.
- to sweeten the cares of life
- To soften to the eye; to make delicate.
- To make pure and salubrious by destroying noxious matter.
- to sweeten rooms or apartments that have been infected
- to sweeten the air
- To make warm and fertile.
- to dry and sweeten soils
- To restore to purity; to free from taint.
- to sweeten water, butter, or meat
- To make more attractive; said of offers in negotiations.
- to sweeten the deal by increasing the price offered
- (intransitive) To become sweet.
From sweet +"Ž -en.