- The definition of an aroma is a smell or scent.
An example of an aroma is the smell of freshly baked bread.
aroma definition by Webster's New World
- a pleasant, often spicy odor; fragrance, as of a plant, a wine, cooking, etc.
- any smell or odor
- a characteristic quality or atmosphere: a city with the aroma of Paris
Origin: Classical Latin ; from Classical Greek arōma, sweet spice
aroma definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A quality that can be perceived by the olfactory sense: the aroma of garlic and onions. See Synonyms at smell.b. A pleasant characteristic odor, as of a plant, spice, or food: the aroma of roses. See Synonyms at fragrance.
- A distinctive, intangible quality; an aura: the aroma of success.
Origin: Alteration (influenced by Latin arōma, spice) of Middle English aromat, aromatic substance, from Old French, from Latin arōmata, pl. of arōma, from Greek, aromatic herb.