- a yellowish, fatty substance with a musklike scent, secreted by a gland near the genitals of the civet cat and used in making some perfumes
- the civet cat
- its fur
Origin of civetFrench civette from Italian zibetto from Arabic zab?d
- a. Any of various catlike mammals of the family Viverridae of Africa and Asia, having anal scent glands that secrete a fluid with a musky odor. Also called civet cat .b. The thick yellowish musky fluid secreted by one of these mammals, used in the manufacture of perfumes.c. The fur of one of these mammals.
- The palm civet of Africa.
Origin of civetFrench civette from Old French from Catalan civetta from Medieval Latin zibethus from Arabic zabād civet perfume
- A carnivorous catlike animal that produces a musky secretion. It is two to three feet long, with black bands and spots on the body and tail.
- The musky perfume produced by the animal.