- a yellowish, fatty substance with a musklike scent, secreted by a gland near the genitals of the civet cat and used in making some perfumes
- the civet cat
- its fur
Origin of civetFrench civette ; from Italian zibetto ; from Arabic zab?d
- a. Any of various catlike mammals of the family Viverridae of Africa and Asia, having anal scent glands that secrete a fluid with a musky odor. Also called civet cat.b. The thick yellowish musky fluid secreted by one of these mammals, used in the manufacture of perfumes.c. The fur of one of these mammals.
- The palm civet of Africa.
Origin of civetFrench civette, from Old French, from Catalan civetta, from Medieval Latin zibethus, from Arabic zabad, civet perfume.
- A carnivorous catlike animal that produces a musky secretion. It is two to three feet long, with black bands and spots on the body and tail.
- The musky perfume produced by the animal.