To say the sun is smiling is personification.
Personification is giving human characteristics to non-living things or ideas.
An author describing the sun smiling on a field of flowers is an example of personification.
- a personifying or being personified
- a person or thing thought of as representing some quality, thing, or idea; embodiment; perfect example: he is the personification of honesty
- a figure of speech in which a thing, quality, or idea is represented as a person
- The act of personifying.
- A person or thing typifying a certain quality or idea; an embodiment or exemplification: “He's invisible, a walking personification of the Negative” ( Ralph Ellison )
- A figure of speech in which inanimate objects or abstractions are endowed with human qualities or are represented as possessing human form, as in Hunger sat shivering on the road or Flowers danced about the lawn. Also called prosopopeia .
- Artistic representation of an abstract quality or idea as a person.
- A person, thing or name typifying a certain quality or idea; an embodiment or exemplification.
- Adolf Hitler was the personification of anti-Semitism.
- A figure of speech, prosopopoeia, in which an inanimate object or an abstraction is given human qualities.
- The writer used personification to convey her ideas.
- An artistic representation of an abstract quality as a human
- The Grim Reaper is a personification of death.
Personify +"Ž -ication.