Anthropomorphism of a mailbox.
An example of anthropomorphism is the creation of Mickey Mouse who is given the ability to sing and dance though mice do not possess that capability.
This term carries very different connotations when used in different contexts. In literature, anthropomorphism describes merely a device of fiction writing, whereas in science (particularly biology) anthropomorphism has traditionally been used pejoratively when a scientist appears to be attributing to animals characteristics that are assumed to be exclusive to human beings.
Coined in the mid-1700s. From Ancient Greek ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos, “man, human being”) + -morphism
- An anthropomorphism which is specifically a " magomorphism " renders the sacred powers increasingly one with the governing element in society, and religion assumes an ethicopolitical character, whilst correspondingly authority and law are invested with a deeper meaning.
- Such anthropomorphism is with difficulty reduced to the Tylorian animism.
- Mahommed in fact represented a revolt against the anthropomorphism of commonplace Mahommedan orthodoxy, but he was a rigid predestinarian and a strict observer of the law.
- Between pantheism and Unitarianism he seems to have balanced till his thirty-fifth year, always tending towards the former in virtue of the recoil from "anthropomorphism" which originally took him to Unitarianism.
- The older traits show themselves partly in the manifestation of various Els, and partly in the cruder anthropomorphism of the earlier sources.