- The definition of attribution means the act of giving someone credit for doing something or the quality or characteristic of a particular person.
- Holding a banquet and distributing awards in honor of a local hero is an act of attribution.
- Intelligence, witticism and good looks are each an example of an attribution.
- The act of attributing, especially the act of establishing a particular person as the creator of a work of art.
- Something, such as a quality or characteristic, that is related to a particular possessor; an attribute.
From Middle French attribution, from Latin attributio.
Variant of attribute
transitive verbattributed, attributing
- to set down or think of as belonging to, produced by, resulting from, or originating in; assign or ascribe (to): the play is attributed to Shakespeare
- to ascribe as a quality or characteristic
Origin of attribute; from Classical Latin attributus, past participle of attribuere, to assign ; from ad-, to + tribuere, to assign ; from tribus: see tribe
- a characteristic or quality of a person or thing
- an object used in literature or art as a symbol for a person, office, etc.: winged feet are the attribute of Mercury
- Gram. a word or phrase used adjectivally