- The definition of component means one part of a whole thing.
- An example of a component is the CD player in a stereo system.
- An example of a component is an ingredient in a recipe.
component definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Classical Latin componens, present participle of componere: see composite
- an element or ingredient
- any of the main constituent parts, as of a high-fidelity sound system
- any of the elements into which a vector quantity, as force or velocity, may be resolved: any vector is the sum of its elements
component definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A constituent element, as of a system. See Synonyms at element.
- A part of a mechanical or electrical complex.
- Mathematics One of a set of two or more vectors having a sum equal to a given vector.
- Any of the minimum number of substances required to specify completely the composition of all phases of a chemical system.
Origin: From Latin compōnēns, compōnent-, present participle of compōnere, to put together : com-, com- + pōnere, to put; see apo- in Indo-European roots.
- comˌpo·nenˈtial adjective