The definition of component means one part of a whole thing.noun
- An example of a component is the CD player in a stereo system.
- An example of a component is an ingredient in a recipe.
Origin: L componens, prp. of componere: see composite
- an element or ingredient
- any of the main constituent parts, as of a high-fidelity sound system
- any of the elements into which a vector quantity, as force or velocity, may be resolved: any vector is the sum of its elements
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A constituent element, as of a system. See Synonyms at element.
- A part of a mechanical or electrical complex.
- Mathematics One of a set of two or more vectors having a sum equal to a given vector.
- Any of the minimum number of substances required to specify completely the composition of all phases of a chemical system.
Origin: From Latin compōnēns, compōnent-, present participle of compōnere, to put together : com-, com- + pōnere, to put; see apo- in Indo-European roots.
- comˌpo·nenˈtial adjective
component - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.