- An example of a component is the CD player in a stereo system.
- An example of a component is an ingredient in a recipe.
The definition of component means one part of a whole thing.
serving as one of the parts of a whole; constituent
Origin of componentClassical Latin componens, present participle of componere: see composite
- an element or ingredient
- any of the main constituent parts, as of a high-fidelity sound system
- any of the elements into which a vector quantity, as force or velocity, may be resolved: any vector is the sum of its elements
- A constituent element, as of a system. See Synonyms at element.
- A part of a mechanical or electrical complex.
- Mathematics One of a set of two or more vectors having a sum equal to a given vector.
Being or functioning as a constituent or an ingredient.
Origin of componentFrom Latin compōnēns, compōnent-, present participle of compōnere, to put together : com-, com- + pōnere, to put; see apo- in Indo-European roots.
- Making up a larger whole; as a component word.
- Made up of smaller complete units in combination; as a component stereo.
OriginSee also: componënt
From Latin compōnēns, present participle of compōnō (“assemble, put together”).