- An example of comply is when you are told to go to your room and you go.
- An example of comply is when you follow warranty laws when selling products.
intransitive verb-·plied′, -·ply′ing
Origin of complyMiddle English complien from Old French complir from Classical Latin complere: see complete
intransitive verbcom·plied, com·ply·ing, com·plies
- To act in accordance with another's command, request, rule, or wish: The patient complied with the physician's orders.
- Obsolete To be courteous or obedient.
Origin of complyMiddle English complien to carry out, fulfill from Old French complir from Latin complēre ; see complete .
(third-person singular simple present complies, present participle complying, simple past and past participle complied)
- Usually followed by "with".
From Old French compli, past participle of complir.