- The definition of agree means to have the same opinion or views.
An example of agree is a married couple deciding to raise their child in a particular faith.
agree definition by Webster's New World
- to consent or accede (to); say “yes”
- to be in harmony or accord: their versions agree
- to be of the same opinion; concur (with)
- to arrive at a satisfactory understanding (on or about prices, terms, etc.)
- to be suitable, healthful, etc.: followed by with: this climate does not agree with him
- Gram. to be inflected so as to correspond in number, person, case, or gender
Origin: Middle English agreen ; from Old French agreer, to receive kindly ; from a gré, favorably ; from a (L ad), to plush gré, good will ; from Classical Latin gratus, pleasing: see grace
agree definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb a·greed, a·gree·ing, a·grees verb, intransitive
- To grant consent; accede: We agreed to her suggestion.
- To come into or be in accord, as of opinion: I agree with you on that. Our views on the election agree.
- To come to an understanding or to terms: We agreed on the price.
- To be compatible or consistent; correspond: The copy agrees with the original. His story agrees with mine.
- To be suitable, appropriate, pleasing, or healthful: Spicy food does not agree with me.
- Grammar To correspond in gender, number, case, or person.
Origin: Middle English agreen, from Old French agreer, from Vulgar Latin *aggrātāre : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin grātus, pleasing; see gwerə-2 in Indo-European roots.