- To correspond is to communicate in writing or to agree with, or harmonize with something or someone.
- An example of correspond is when you write a letter or email to someone and he writes back.
- An example of correspond is when a graph is representative of data.
- to be in agreement (with something); conform (to something); tally; harmonize
- to be similar, analogous, or equal, (to something)
- to communicate (with someone) by exchanging letters, esp. regularly
Origin: Middle French correspondre ; from Midieval Latin correspondere ; from Classical Latin com-, together plush respondere, to respond
- correspondingly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb cor·re·spond·ed, cor·re·spond·ing, cor·re·sponds
- To be in agreement, harmony, or conformity.
- To be similar or equivalent in character, quantity, origin, structure, or function: English navel corresponds to Greek omphalos. See Synonyms at agree.
- To communicate by letter, usually over a period of time.
Origin: French correspondre, from Medieval Latin correspondēre : Latin com-, com- + respondēre, to respond; see respond.