ingredient[in grē′dē ənt]
- The definition of an ingredient is a component or necessary part of something.
When a recipe calls for eggs, this is an example of when eggs are an ingredient in the recipe.
The ingredients for baking.
- any of the things that a mixture is made of
- a component part, or constituent, of anything
Origin of ingredientMiddle English ; from Classical Latin ingrediens, present participle of ingredi: see ingress
- An edible substance that is used in making a dish or other food.
- An element or component of something: the ingredients in shampoo; the ingredients that made the scandal. See Synonyms at element.
Origin of ingredientMiddle English, from Latin ingrediēns, ingredient-, present participle of ingredī, to enter; see ingress.
From Middle French ingredient, from Latin ingrediens, present participle of ingredior (“I go or enter into or onto”).