- An example of a crux is the most important beliefs of a religion.
- An example of a crux is a Rubik's cube.
The definition of crux is the central point of something, or is something that seems impossible to solve.
- Heraldry a cross
- a difficult problem; puzzling thing
- the essential or deciding point
- [C-] a small S constellation near the celestial pole, containing the Coalsack; the Southern Cross; the Cross
Origin of cruxL, cross
nounpl. crux·es, or cru·ces
- The basic, central, or critical point or feature: the crux of the matter; the crux of an argument.
- A puzzling or apparently insoluble problem.
- The most difficult portion of an ascent in rock climbing or mountaineering.
Origin of cruxProbably short for Medieval Latin crux (interpretum) torment (of interpreters) from Latin crux cross
See Southern Cross.
Origin of CruxModern Latin from Latin crux cross
(plural cruxes or cruces)
Latin crux (“a cross”)