- An example of a crux is the most important beliefs of a religion.
- An example of a crux is a Rubik's cube.
The definition of crux is the central point of something, or is something that seems impossible to solve.
- Heraldry a cross
- a difficult problem; puzzling thing
- the essential or deciding point
- a small S constellation near the celestial pole, containing the Coalsack; the Southern Cross; the Cross
Origin of cruxL, cross
See Southern Cross.
Origin of CruxModern Latin, from Latin crux, cross.
nounpl. crux·es or cru·ces
- The basic, central, or critical point or feature: the crux of the matter; the crux of an argument.
- A puzzling or apparently insoluble problem.
Origin of cruxProbably short for Medieval Latin crux (interpretum), torment (of interpreters), from Latin crux, cross.
(plural cruxes or cruces)
Latin crux (“a cross”)