- The definition of a crutch is a device that provides help or support, particularly for a broken or sprained limb.
An example of a crutch is a wooden device that goes under the armpit to help a person walk with a broken leg.
- Crutch is defined as to prop up or support.
An example of crutch is to hold up a horizontal beam with a vertical piece of wood.
crutch definition by Webster's New World
- any of various devices used, often in pairs, by lame people as an aid in walking; typically, a staff with a hand grip and a padded crosspiece on top that fits under the armpit
- anything one leans or relies on for support, help, etc.; prop
- any device that resembles a crutch
- Archaic the crotch of the human body
- Naut. a forked support for a spar when the sail is furled
Origin: Middle English crucche ; from Old English crycce, staff, akin to German krücke ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ger-: see cradle
crutch definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A staff or support used by the physically injured or disabled as an aid in walking, usually designed to fit under the armpit and often used in pairs.
- A forked leg rest on a sidesaddle.
- A device used for assistance or support; a prop: a mnemonic crutch.
- The crotch of a person or an animal.
- A forked device or part.
Origin: Middle English crucche, from Old English crycc.
an axillary crutch (left) and a forearm crutch (right)
crutch - Medical Definition