The underpinning of a house.
- The definition of an underpinning is a system of support.
An example of underpinning is the foundation of a house.
- a supporting structure or foundation, esp. one placed beneath a wall
- a support or prop
- ☆ Informal the legs
- Material or masonry used to support a structure, such as a wall.
- often underpinnings A support or foundation: “It was the towns, not the cities, that provided the underpinnings for the great American experiment” (Frank Conroy).
- underpinnings Informal The human legs.
- Present participle of underpin.
Variant of underpin