The underpinning of a house.
The definition of an underpinning is a system of support.
An example of underpinning is the foundation of a house.
- a supporting structure or foundation, esp. one placed beneath a wall
- [often pl.] anything that serves as a support or basis: the flimsy underpinnings of their argument
- [pl.]Informal the legs
- Material or masonry used to support a structure, such as a wall.
- often underpinnings A support or foundation: “It was the towns, not the cities, that provided the underpinnings for the great American experiment” ( Frank Conroy )
- underpinnings Informal The human legs.
- Present participle of underpin.