- The definition of an underpinning is a system of support.
An example of underpinning is the foundation of a house.
The underpinning of a house.
underpinning definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a supporting structure or foundation, esp. one placed beneath a wall
- a support or prop
- ☆ Informal the legs
underpinning definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Material or masonry used to support a structure, such as a wall.
- A support or foundation. Often used in the plural.
- Informal The human legs. Often used in the plural.
Variant of underpin