- Trait is a characteristic you inherit or a distinguishing characteristic or feature.
- An example of a trait is the tendency politicians have to exaggerate.
- An example of a trait is blue eyes.
A triat is having blue eyes.
- a distinguishing quality or characteristic, as of personality
- character ()
- Rare a stroke, trace, or touch
Origin of traitFrench a draft, line, stroke ; from Classical Latin tractus, past participle of trahere, to draw
- A distinguishing feature, as of a person's character. See Synonyms at quality.
- A genetically determined characteristic or condition: a recessive trait.
- Archaic A short line or mark made with a writing or drawing implement.
Origin of traitFrench, pull, stroke, line, feature, from Old French, from Latin tractus, a drawing out, line; see tract1.
From Middle French, from Latin tractus.