Trait is a characteristic you inherit or a distinguishing characteristic or feature.noun
- An example of a trait is the tendency politicians have to exaggerate.
- An example of a trait is blue eyes.
- a distinguishing quality or characteristic, as of personality
- character ()
- Rare a stroke, trace, or touch
Origin: Fr, a draft, line, stroke < L tractus, pp. of trahere, to draw
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A distinguishing feature, as of a person's character. See Synonyms at quality.
- A genetically determined characteristic or condition: a recessive trait.
- a. A stroke with or as if with a pencil.b. A slight degree or amount, as of a quality; a touch or trace: a sermon with a trait of humor.
Origin: Middle English, shot, from Old French, something drawn, shot, from Latin tractus, a drawing out, line; see tract1.
trait - Medical Definition
- A genetically determined structure, attribute, or function.
- A distinct pattern of behavior.
trait - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.