The definition of a tendency is an inclination towards a certain action or behavior.
An example of a tendency is when you usually are very neat and tidy.
- an inclination to move or act in a particular direction or way; constant disposition to some action or state; leaning; bias; propensity; bent
- a course or apparent course toward some purpose, object, or result; drift
- a definite purpose or point of view in something said or written
Origin of tendencyMedieval Latin tendentia from Classical Latin tendens, present participle of tendere, to tend
- a. A characteristic likelihood: fabric that has a tendency to wrinkle.b. A predisposition to think, act, or proceed in a particular way: his tendency to exaggerate.c. A characteristic pattern or point of view: the book's tendency to oversimplify events.
- Movement or prevailing movement in a given direction: observed the tendency of the wind; the shoreward tendency of the current.
Origin of tendencyMedieval Latin tendentia from Latin tendēns tendent- present participle of tendere to tend ; see tend1.
Ultimately from the Latin tendere / tendÅ.