convivial[kən viv′ē əl]
- The definition of convivial is something or someone that is festive and good company.
- An example of convivial is a person who is cheerful and who always makes you feel welcome.
- An example of convivial is a party where everyone is friendly and welcoming.
- having to do with a feast or festive activity
- fond of eating, drinking, and good company; sociable; jovial
Origin of convivialClassical Latin convivialis ; from convivium, a feast ; from convivere, to carouse together ; from com-, together + vivere, to live: see quick
- Enjoying good company; sociable. See Synonyms at social.
- Characterized by merry celebrating; festive: a convivial atmosphere at the reunion.
Origin of convivialLate Latin convīviālis, from Latin convīvium, banquet : com-, com- + vīvere, to live; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more convivial, superlative most convivial)