- The definition of convivial is something or someone that is festive and good company.
- An example of convivial is a person who is cheerful and who always makes you feel welcome.
- An example of convivial is a party where everyone is friendly and welcoming.
convivial definition by Webster's New World
- having to do with a feast or festive activity
- fond of eating, drinking, and good company; sociable; jovial
Origin: Classical Latin convivialis ; from convivium, a feast ; from convivere, to carouse together ; from com-, together plush vivere, to live: see quick
convivial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Fond of feasting, drinking, and good company; sociable. See Synonyms at social.
- Merry; festive: a convivial atmosphere at the reunion.
Origin: Late Latin convīviālis, from Latin convīvium, banquet : com-, com- + vīvere, to live; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.
- con·vivˌi·alˈi·ty noun
- con·vivˈi·al·ly adverb