- The definition of staid is someone who is steady, sedate and distinguished.
- An example of someone who would be described as staid is a dignified old professor.
- An example of someone who would be described as staid is an older person who is set in his ways.
- Rare resisting change; fixed
- sober; sedate; settled and steady
- Characterized by sedateness and often a strait-laced sense of propriety; serious and conventional.
- Fixed; permanent: “There is nothing settled, nothing staid in this universe” (Virginia Woolf).
Origin of staidFrom obsolete staid, past participle of stay1.
(comparative staider, superlative staidest)