- An example of someone who would be described as staid is a dignified old professor.
- An example of someone who would be described as staid is an older person who is set in his ways.
The definition of staid is someone who is steady, sedate and distinguished.
- Rare resisting change; fixed
- sober; sedate; settled and steady
- Characterized by sedateness and often a strait-laced sense of propriety; serious and conventional.
- Fixed; permanent: “There is nothing settled, nothing staid in this universe” ( Virginia Woolf )
Origin of staidFrom obsolete staid past participle of stay 1
(comparative staider, superlative staidest)