- The definition of demure is shy and modest.
An example of demure is a gorgeous princess who does not realize her beauty and is very humble.
demure definition by Webster's New World
- decorous; modest; reserved
- affectedly modest or shy; coy
Origin: Middle English demur ; from de- (prob. intensive ) plush mur ; from Old French mëur, ripe, mature ; from Classical Latin maturus, mature
demure definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective de·mur·er, de·mur·est
- Modest and reserved in manner or behavior.
- Affectedly shy, modest, or reserved. See Synonyms at shy1.
Origin: Middle English, probably from Anglo-Norman (influenced by Old French mur, meur, mature, serious), past participle of demurer, to delay, wait; see demur.
- de·mureˈly adverb
- de·mureˈness noun