- The definition of prim is a proper, precise and formal person.
An example of prim is a traditional fifties housewife who does not wear casual clothes, and instead is always dressed as if she is ready to leave the house.
prim definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Middle French prim, prime, first (also sharp, thin, slender; hence, neat) ; from Classical Latin primus, first: see prime
prim definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective prim·mer, prim·mest
- a. Precise or proper to the point of affectation; excessively decorous.b. Strait-laced; prudish.
- Neat and trim: a prim hedgerow.
- To fix (the face or mouth) in a prim expression.
- To make prim, as in dress or appearance.
Origin: Possibly from obsolete prim, formal or demure person, perhaps from Old French prin, first, delicate; see Prime .
- primˈly adverb
- primˈness noun
Origin: Short for obsolete primprint, of unknown origin.