prima donna[prē′mə dän′ə, prim′ə]
- the principal woman singer in an opera or concert
- Informal a temperamental, vain, or arrogant person
Origin of prima donnaItalian literally , first lady
- The leading woman soloist in an opera company.
- A temperamental, conceited person.
Origin of prima donnaItalian : prima, feminine of primo, first + donna, lady.
(plural prima donnas or primae donnae)
- (opera) The principal female singer or the leading lady.
- A person who considers himself or herself much more important than others, has high expectations of others and becomes angry when his or her standards or demands are not met.