- Primacy is the condition of being first in line or the highest in rank.
An example of primacy is the state of being the first position in line to get into a movie theater.
primacy definition by Webster's New World
- the state of being first in time, order, rank, etc.
- the rank, office, or authority of a primate
Origin: Middle English primacie ; from Middle French ; from Midieval Latin primatia ; from Late Latin primas: see primate
primacy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. pri·ma·cies
- The state of being first or foremost.
- Ecclesiastical The office, rank, or province of primate.
Origin: Middle English primacie, from Old French, from Medieval Latin prīmātia, office of church primate, from Latin prīmās, prīmāt-, of first rank; see primate.