- The definition of a diva is a successful female singer, especially a female opera singer, or a demanding and spoiled woman.
- An example of a diva is a famous female opera singer.
- An example of a diva is a spoiled woman who wants things her own way and who bosses people around.
nounpl. di·vas or di·ve
- An operatic prima donna.
- A very successful singer of nonoperatic music: a jazz diva.
- Slang One who demands that attention be paid to his or her needs, especially without regard to anyone else's needs or feelings.
Origin of divaItalian, from Latin dīva, goddess, feminine of dīvus, god; see dyeu- in Indo-European roots.
(plural dive or divas)
- Any female celebrity, usually a well known singer or actress. [from the 19th c.]
- A person who may be considered or who considers herself (by extension himself) much more important than others, has high expectations of others and who is extremely demanding and fussy when it comes to personal privileges.